Better gaming through discussion

Monday, July 11, 2011

Additional Player?

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering what you would think about adding an additional player to our game since we haven't really gotten started yet? My friend Shevon (Bozena knows her) is a writer too and I was out to dinner with her the other night and was describing what we do. She thought that sounded really fun. I haven't asked her yet, because I wanted to get your opinions first, but I thought she would be a fun addition the group, and I think she'd mesh well with us all. If you agree, maybe we could connect her to this blog and she could catch up and begin creating a character of her own. If you think this would throw off the dynamics, or it's too late in the game, then I won't invite her. Thoughts and opinions?

1 comment:

  1. There isn't a simple answer to whether we can add another person into the mix. I have run a game (once) that had 4 PC (player characters) and it worked out well enough. I was one of the first games I ever organized. A game with 4 PC's is a different kind of game than that with 2 PC's or 3 PC's. It's not about if we CAN add another player, its about, if we WANT to add another player.

    This all sounds negative so far, and maybe in some respects it is. The more PC's the more the game centers around the central plot line, instead of focusing on the individual plot lines of each character. It's not as fun when your character isn't in the spotlight very much, but then again, its a lot of fun to bounce ideas of more people, and to have more help when trying to accomplish tasks in the game.

    More players = more epic. Bigger things happen with more PC's. 1-2 PC games tend to be intimate games concerned with the dynamics of the characters and their personal goals. 3-4 PC games are more about large overarching plots with dramatic changes to the landscape of the game world.

    Tsur can handle an epic plot just as much as it can tell hundreds of tales of love, intrigue, or coming of age. It's a hard call to make. I wanted to put this information out on the blog as a starting point, but to really make the call I will probably need to have a phone conversation with you (Elizabeth) to work out a solution.

    That said, call me tonight or Thursday. Janelle and I leave on Saturday morning for our trip. Talk soon.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog